Thursday, November 19, 2009

Friendships in Scouting

Everyday I think about Scouting... not sure why, but I guess it has to do with the fun I have as a Scouter (scouter n. an adult leader involved in boys scouts).  

Take this last weekend, the Owl Patrol from Wood Badge Class SR904 got together for their first annual family camp out.  There were 3 families involved, and we had a great time.  Getting to know the families that support the "Scouter" is just as fun as knowing the person. 


The neat thing about this camp out is that we got to camp at Circle R Disc Golf Ranch just south west of Wimberly Texas.  Now I have never played disc golf before, but I had a great time, granted my right arm and shoulder were sore the next few days.  See one of our Owls, "NEWT, the come back kid, " is an avid disc golfer.  This man can throw.  Me? well, lets just say I like hitting trees.  Even the Eagle Scout who attended the camp out got to play a few rounds, and enjoyed it... what a thrill. 

Back to the story, we only stayed one night.  We did like any other scout patrol, we divided up the chores, and it worked out pretty well.   We had a Fried Chicken Lunch, with pre-dinner snacks, a wonderful beef stew, and for breakfast, the traditional breakfast tacos.  

We had a camp fire (thank goodness the local burn ban was lifted) and we had plenty of firewood.  Heck good ol' "DOC" shared with the young scouts a new tool called a Blast Match for starting fires.  Which I thought was cool, might have to get one one day. :)  


The camp fire was great.  We sang and NEWT's boy brought his guitar, and and he played a few songs for us, and DOC well, he played a lot for us.  Funny thing is that NEWT taught us a song called "at the Quartermaster Store" ... had the kids singing that on the way home, and they are still humming the song.  I wonder if the boy scout will sing along ?  hmmm....  it is perfect for Cub Scouts, but Boy Scouts, I dont know.. :) 

We had a blast, I wish that we could of had everyone in our patrol there, but that is ok, life happens, but the best thing is, we want to continue this yearly trek for the Owl patrol.   At Wood Badge, we became good friends.. we learned a lot about others, and I learned a lot about myself. 

So now I have to work on my golf disk skills... now that is something I am sure the Troop would like to do one camp out.... I will have to ask them :) 

Thanks for reading, and may the trail in front of you lead you to a great adventure. 




1 comment: