Thursday, November 19, 2009


Yep that's me...  the new Scout Master... well not yet, but soon will be.  Starting January 1, I will be the new SM for Troop 505 in South Austin.  


Now I know what you might be thinking... wow what fun... or ... your going to have a blast... or... to some of the cynics "sucker"... 


Well, I can tell you this, I am looking forward to this.  I have mighty big shoes to fill.  The outgoing SM, Butch, is well loved, and respected among the family and boys.  Before Butch, was Leonard who was a master at this, and before him, Matt, who still is very active in the troop and the first Scout Master of the Troop.  Both Matt and his brother Barry started Troop 505, and it has been a success since then. 



Now, is it one man, the Scout Master that makes this troop so awesome ? No.  It is the circle of friends from the ASMs like John, Travis, Bill, Marty, Jay, David, and a whole lot more.  The circle also includes the committee, they are the hidden heros of our troop, who make things happen for the boys.  You know what makes the Troop so Awesome, it is the boys. All of them.  


I have to remember that it is the boys who make this troop.  Boy led.  What does that mean?  Well, just that boy led, but the ASMs and the Committee are there to guide, and assist, so the boys can learn how to lead, and to take ownership.  



My Goal is not to write down every event, but to post weekly observations about each Troop meeting or camp out.  What did I learn, what can I share, and most of all, share what adventures we are having. 


Just recently we had a family camp out at Krause Springs .   It was a chance for the families to join in on our camping fun.   We do it once a year.  What was special about this camp out ?  I was committed to another camp out that weekend with my Owl Buddies from Wood Badge (another story), but on Friday night I went with the Troop for a flag retirement ceremony.  It was an honor to lead the ceremony.  My goal was to show how it was done, and then let the boys have a glimpse on what they could do for the future.   Another great event is that the Troop might form a Venture Crew...  so a couple of Girl Scout Troops attended the camp out, and they are in hopes our Troop does create this Venture Crew.   The girls want to go camping... lots of camping, which I think is really cool.. and who knows, more high adventures to come. 


Thanks for reading, and expect more later, stories, adventure, and hope the humor comes out. I was told by a very wise Scouter "If you are not having fun in Scouting, something is wrong" 


May the trail lead you to adventure and fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment